Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Mercier 300



Here is an example not needing full restoration. It appears rather cruddy but the paint is quite complete. Remember, it can be original only once! I found this on the local CL and it was still there a week or two later. The owner knew little about vintage bikes, had no pics, and thought it was a 53cm or so(too small for me). For these reasons, I had my doubts as I'm done picking up stuff I can't use. I expected to find a model 100 or 200 low-range bike. Well, I was surprised for once. The Reynolds 531 stickers and Stronglight 93 crankset indicated a Mercier 300 and it was mostly original. I measured it at 55cm - just my size! I let him keep the over sized modern seat and got it for $115 or so. 70's French racing bikes are still undervalued when compared to the Italian marques so popular today. Fit and finish is certainly lacking but the then high-end bikes really ride nicely.
Here are some before pics:

This is the stuff you want to find - it comes off easily with a little degreaser and actually protects the underlying parts from rust.


Over several phone conversations, the owner kept saying he was out cleaning it up for my viewing. Strong work indeed! White tape over the rusted out cables? Dig that Italian bar tape scheme. Next would have been Comet on the paint! Nice enough guy but I'm fairly proud to say I saved this bike!

The rust on the fork blades looked thin but, French plating being as it was in the 70s, was actually pitted nicely. The rear stays looked much better - thank goodness for oily road grime!





Many bikes are clean enough with no major exclusions in the paint or decals. This was one. There was a lot of brown discoloration over the decals and the paint was faded and dirty - noticed once the various components were removed. Lug finishing and paintwork was par for the course for a bike boom-era French bike BUT Mercier had clear coated over the paint and decals so I had lots of room to work. Without the clear, cleaning the decals as needed would have ruined them. This also gave me the idea to clear over everything to seal in the patina. I did have to ruin the tattered 531 decals on the seat tube and removed what was left of one fork decal. Didn't want those under clear and then possibly peaking out from under the new ones. I'll order those later. 531 decals appear to never have been cleared over. I resisted the temptation to sandblast it and redo it all to be flawless. Greg from Cyclomondo(see his Ebay store) can make me anything I need but a bike can be original only once.

After complete disassembling, I cleaned the frame with car soap, then Dawn liquid soap, then Simple Green/409, the idea being to use only what the finish needs lest I stain it with something too powerful. I rubbed it all out with various levels of auto compounds to see what I had. The brown stains appeared to be old clear coat and I was able to rub this down without damage to the decals. I could not however remove the paint fading seen around the components to my satisfaction. Once the components are back on, it will be much less of an issue.
I touched up any chips in the decals with black enamel and a gold paint pen. For the body color, I mixed Sublime green and yellow model enamels and filled any major chips. I wet sanded with 400 grit or so and put down a few layers of clear enamel.

The components weren't too bad but a few will need replacement to have it look "complete". The shifters were almost flawless. Into the partswasher they go. The model 93 cranks were awesome under the grime - better than some I recently paid over $50 for! The rear Simplex Criterium derailleur was complete and not yet cracked. The front DR was a Shimano replacement so I will replace that. I'll rob the front Prestige DR from the UO-8 hanging complete in the basement. Since it's Simplex, I might use it for the time being. I was going to replace the ugly steel seatpost with an alloy one but it weighed less than any I had so I kept it - not to mention the fact that French seatposts are always a weird smaller 26.6mm or so. Cleaner turned the black plastic parts a grey chalky color. I have found that rubbing in a thin coat of motor oil will restore the color. The Normandy hubs and Gentlemen 81 rims cleaned up well but those early galvanized spokes will be a hastle to keep nice. I repacked the bearings - a little notchy but we'll see if they seat in at all. I have plenty of Campy wheels if I need to swap them out. You can see the other blog entry, "Cones", to learn what I finally did.
I need a chain, cables, brake pads, bartape, proper gumwall tires(optional but right), a new rear DR idler wheel, and an unchipped downtube cable guide. Oh and some French-style Reynolds 531 decals.
Well, I found a Symplex tension pulley on one of my Campy derailleurs so I scavenged it. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the ball bearings like the original - just bushings like all the Campy stuff.
Dropped by BikeSource on a ride last week and picked up some brake shoes and an extra tube(had a flat that day) but forgot to look for suitable bartape. Few bike stores nowadays carry the herringbone cloth tape anyway. The brake pads are not correct looking but stop fairly well and just remember those "used car tire"-looking pads on the Mafacs?

I found new white Jagwire cable housing and some new cables in my parts box(forgot about those). This is modern lined cable housing so will function better and still look the part. I suppose I could wipe off the foiled Jagwire script with acetone but it really doesn't bother me as is. I like the idea of improving the brake feeling a bit. NOS Simplex housing is around but why do that if you are wanting to ride the thing?




I prefer the design of Campy and Huret cable guides much better than that of Simplex but found one NOS so used it. Soaked the Sedis chain in the parts washer and lubed it up well. I rode it for a few test rides but replaced it with SRAM's 8-speed chain. I have used those on other bikes and like them.



I have been keeping an eye out for decent looking gumwall tires. Appears they are making a comeback.

Panaracer and Vredestein, among others, both make inexpensive gumwall tires in both 700c and 27" some even boast weights in the 230 gram range. Not sure about the thread count(TPI) but these tires mentioned are not expensive. In the tubular world, the cheap gumwalls are reportedly junk. I think modern tire technology has passed to all levels of clinchers but not so in the tubular world.
Remember to mount them with the labels at the stem. This is tradition and also helps reference punctures in the tube more quickly.
Well, here is how it turned out. Perhaps sunlit grass isn't the best backdrop for a lime green frame. It certainly isn't mint but from this distance you have to admit it looks pretty nice.

6 comments:

moistcardboard said...

i dont mean to go digging up the dead, but i found you mercier restore. beautiful bike, i only wish my merc was in as good of condition. you mentioned the 100 and 200 and how you were stoked this was a 300. any hints on how to ID the old merciers? i got one for free and turned it into my beater/fixie bike, but i enjoy riding it more than my kestrel. info on the french merciers is almost impossible to find.

Anonymous said...

I have one too, and I think it's a 200 but it could also be a 100 - I'm not sure. I know it's not a 300 Reynolds. Here is a list of equipment for each model I found online - I believe they were imported 1969-1972? -Chris

"I have a Mercier catalog from Beacon Cycle and Supply Co. (early to mid '70s) which lists the following spec's for each of their models:

Model 300:
Reynolds 531 double butted frame, front and rear forks.
Chromium plated front fork ends.
Simplex Criterieum front and rear gear changers.
Simplex frame mount shift controls.
Normandy Competition Dural QR large flange hubs
Stronglight headset.
Stronglight professional crank set and chainwheel 46 x 52 (picture looks like a Stronglight 93).
Simplex cable clips.
Dural pedals with reflectors.
Chrome seat post.
MAFAC brakes with hooded levers and adjusters.
Atom 66 competition freewheel 14 x 24.
Sedis chain.
Mavic Monthlery alloy rims.
Chromed straight gauge spokes.
Hutchinson tubular sew-up racing tires.
Ideale 2000 molded saddle.
Dural handlebar.
Dural AMC handlebar stem.
Tornade Dural ringed pump with AFA express connector.
Brazed-on pump clips.
Toe clips and straps.
Approximate Weight: 22 lbs.
Colors: Orange, Red, Sky Blue, White, Yellow, Kelly Green, and Purple
Frame Sizes: 19 1/2", 21", 23", 25"


Model 200:
Luxtub tubing - frame, front and rear forks.
Chromium plated front fork ends.
Simplex Prestige front and rear gear changers and frame mount shift controls.
Normandy Dural QR large flange hubs
Precision fork ends.
3 pin steel chainwheel 46 x 52.
Brazed-on cable clips.
Steel rattrap pedals with reflectors.
MAFAC brakes with hooded levers and adjusters.
Normandy freewheel 14 x 24.
Sedis chain.
Mavic Sport alloy rims.
Butted rustless spokes.
Hutchinson sew-up tubular racing tires.
Molded vinyl covered saddle.
Dural handlebar stem.
Dural handlebar.
Tornade Dural ringed pump with AFA express connector.
Brazed-on pump clips.
Toe clips and straps.
Cloth handlebar tape.
Special hand striping.
Approximate Weight: 25 lbs.
Colors: Orange, Red, Sky Blue, White, Yellow, Kelly Green, and Purple
Frame Sizes: 19 1/2", 21", 23", 25"


Model 100 (and 111 Mixte):
Luxtub tubing - frame, front and rear forks.
Chromium plated front fork ends.
Simplex front and rear gear changers.
Simplex frame mounted shift controls.
Normandy Dural QR large flange hubs
3 pin steel chainwheel 40 x 52.
Brazed-on cable clips.
Rattrap steel pedals with reflectors.
MAFAC brakes with hooded levers and adjusters.
Normandy freewheel 14 x 28.
Sedis chain.
Rigida steel rims, serrated edges.
Butted rustless spokes.
Hutchinson high pressure gumwall tires.
Molded vinyl saddle.
Steel handlebar.
Dural handlebar stem.
Tornade Dural ringed pump.
Brazed-on pump clips.
Black handlebar tape.
Special hand striping.
Approximate Weight: 25 lbs.
Colors: Orange, Red, Sky Blue, White, Yellow, Kelly Green, and Purple.
Frame Sizes: 19 1/2", 21", 23", 25" (20" and 22" for mixte)


Model 90 (and 91 Mixte):
Luxtub tubing - frame, front and rear forks.
Simplex front and rear gear changers.
Simplex frame mount shift controls.
Normandy large flange hubs with wingnuts.
3 pin steel chainwheel 40 x 52.
Rattrap steel pedals with reflectors.
LAM brakes with hooded levers and adjusters.
Normandy freewheel 14 x 28.
Sedis chain.
Rigida steel rims, serrated edges.
Butted rustless spokes.
Hutchinson high pressure gumwall tires.
Molded vinyl saddle.
Steel handlebar.
Dural handlebar stem.
Black handlebar tape.
Approximate Weight: 25 lbs.
Colors: Blue and Yellow
Frame Sizes: 19 1/2", 21", 23", 25" (20" and 22" for mixte)


Model 140 (and 141 Mixte -- both of these are children's 18" frame racers):
Luxtub tubing - frame, front and rear forks.
Chromium plated front fork ends.
Simplex Prestige front and rear gear changers.
Simplex frame mounted shift controls.
Normandy Dural QR large flange hubs
3 pin steel chainwheel 36 x 42.
Brazed-on cable clips.
Rattrap steel pedals with reflectors.
MAFAC brakes with hooded levers and adjusters.
Normandy freewheel 14 x 24.
Sedis chain.
Rigida steel rims, serrated edges.
Butted rustless spokes.
Hutchinson high pressure gumwall tires.
Molded vinyl saddle.
Steel handlebar.
Dural handlebar stem.
Tornade Dural ringed pump.
Brazed-on pump clips.
Black handlebar tape.
Special hand striping.
Approximate Weight: 25 lbs.
Colors: Red, Lime Green, and Sky Blue
Frame Sizes: 18" for both boys and mixte.


Hope this helps -- Merry Christmas!

Ian Kersey"

Anonymous said...

I have a Model 200 that looked almost exactly like this one, when I bought it new in 1973. The catalogue items and descriptions are nearly identical to those I was offered back in 73, with one notable exception, the Lime Green color. I had my dealer contact Mercier directly in St. Etienne, FR and ask them if I could get their Lime Green color (like yours), which was offered only on their childrens' models, 140 and 141, instead of their darker, Kelly Green. After about six weeks they got back to us and said they would do that as a custom order for an additional fee, which I paid. The crank tube has a serial number stamped on the underside showing the date of mfr. or the date of sale, I'm not sure which. It reads, 730611, which is either June 11, or 06 Nov., 1973. I rode it a lot for a decade or so and it showed the wear. So in 1990 I had it professionally rebuilt (not restored) with Suntour and Specialized parts instead of the OEM Simplex. I kept the Mafac "Racer" centerpull brakesets. I once worked as a painter for a body shop, so I did the stripping and repaint work myself. I studied design in college, so I made a couple of small tasteful updates to the paint scheme. I got a complete set of original decals and emblems from the defunct Mercier factory in St. Etienne by writing a snail mail letter addressed only to Cycles Mercier, St. Etienne, FR. I never found out who they delivered it to, but a few months later, after I'd given up hope, an envelope arrived with the decals. The OEM ones that came on the bike were not among them, but the sender did the best he could to find a suitable collection. The downtube decal is identical to both my original and the one in your picture. Your post is the only other time I've seen a bicycle like mine. I found it because I was doing a search for a badge replacement. The Mercier badge on my headtube, which I replaced in 1990, was on with foam tape and it must've recently fallen off. I am hoping to find a replacement and was doing a web search when I stumbled on your post. Thanks for the great pics.

dmar836 said...

Awesome Story. Email me a pic if you get a chance.
Dave

Paul Bergquist said...

I've got an old Mercier 300 that I'm hoping to restore--I've had it since 1969, and it is still my favorite ride, even though it is almost devoid of paint at this point. It has been ridden heavily and raced in the rain and used for city commuting and you name it over the years. I have a LeMonde carbon fiber frame for my roadbike now, but I like the flex and spring of the old Mercier a lot more. Anybody know if it is possible to get decals for that year's model (1969) in a repro? I didn't see anything on Cyclomondo for Mercier--can he customize decals if I don't have pics?
DocPaul13

dmar836 said...

Paul,
My Peugeot PX-10 has such decals. Actually I used some NOS decals for that but did order a set from Greg at Cyclomondo. He did not offer those until I sent him pics/measurements. He's a knowledgeable and nice guy - give him a shout.
Dave
KC