Friday, March 7, 2008

80's Tesch 101



Glad I found this one in my size. The late David Tesch, the "Manic Master", built bike frames in the 80's after working for Trek and subcontracting for Masi. His Highway 101 is an example of the quality that US "cottage builders" put out at the time. This frameset retailed for about $850 back then. I thought about sanding through the clear to see if just certain areas could be spot matched then clearing the whole thing with pearl but I have a feeling it's too far gone. Just too rough and rusty in spots to save the paint. Even with the damage to this example, the thinned lugs, perfect fitting/brazing, and otherwise flawless paint are a cut above most Italian frames of the time. Unfortunately, with rust, crazing, and two dings, the frame MUST be refinished. Such pressure to do this one justice!
Just too rough and rusty in spots to save the paint.
This is what sweat can do to a steel frame. Appears someone thought they could sand the rust away. I have seen this sweat damage mostly where internally routed cables enter/exit.
What a shame. I'll paint it again in the same pearl white. Adding some silicone at the housing exit points might help protect the internal steel but regular washing and waxing in necessary IMO.
This will be one of the highlights of my collection and something I will ride with pride. I have been collecting parts for it already.
Here is a link to Dave Moulton's blog with info on Tesch.

http://davesbikeblog.blogspot.com/2006/12/david-tesch.html

5 comments:

Silk Hope said...

If you ever decide to sell let me know.

dmar836 said...

Will do. BTW, just picked up another 101 in much nicer shape. I post about it soon.
Dave

Silk Hope said...

Are you sure you need two. Trying to round out my Carlsbad collection.

JG

Silk Hope said...

Are you sure you need two?

dmar836 said...

Well, until I have one in every color.....